Baby Gray

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Oscars!




For those who may not already know, I am a HUGE fan of the Academy Awards. It's something I look forward to all year long, reading up on all the "buzz" and critics' reviews so that I am well versed in all things Oscar. My parents have always really gotten into the Awards as well and, for at least the past few years, we've all been making our predictions of the winners from the major categories and have fun seeing who guessed the most correctly. I got everything but Best Picture in 2006, correctly predicted all the major winners in '07, and was about 1/2 right last year. I must admit, I haven't seen many of the nominated films this year, so my guesses will be mostly based on reviews, word-of-mouth, or personal affinities for particular actors/directors. My list of predicted winners is below. I'll put those who I think will win in boldface.

I'm also really excited that Hugh Jackman is hosting. I've grown pretty tired of the Billy Crystal/Whoopi Goldberg types, and was disappointed with last year's Jon Stewart (even though I otherwise really like him). I think having a film actor host will be a refreshing change from the typical choice of comedian. I didn't really think much of Hugh until I saw the movie Australia, after which I am now officially a fan of People's "Sexiest Man Alive." Anyway, I hope you enjoy watching the Oscars this year as much as I will!

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams - "Doubt"
Penelope Cruz - "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Viola Davis - "Doubt"
Taraji P. Henson - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Marisa Tomei - "The Wrestler"

"Doubt" was a very good film - though definitely not one I would watch over and over again - and Viola Davis absolutely stole the few scenes she starred in opposite Meryl Streep. I haven't seen "Vicky Cristina Barcelona," but I'd also be glad to see Penelope Cruz recognized after she was ripped off for Best Actress for "Volver."

Best Supporting Actor

Josh Brolin - "Milk"
Robert Downey Jr. - "Tropic Thunder"
Philip Seymour Hoffman - "Doubt"
Heath Ledger - "The Dark Knight"
Michael Shannon - "Revolutionary Road"

If you know me, you know I'm rooting for Heath Ledger, and that it is in no way influenced by his tragic death. If Heath doesn't win, I'd hate to be the actor who has to give an acceptance speech when everyone thought it should go to Heath. The only remotely acceptable alternative is Robert Downey, Jr., whose hilarious parody of Method actors absolutely merited the nomination, and I'd kind of like him to win it just to laugh in the faces of all those who thought this movie was garbage - which it was, without Downey Jr.'s incredible performance.

Best Actress

Anne Hathaway - "Rachel Getting Married"
Angelina Jolie - "Changeling"
Melissa Leo - "Frozen River"
Meryl Streep - "Doubt"
Kate Winslet - "The Reader"

I have adored Kate Winslet for years, but have been seriously unimpressed with her acceptance speeches at previous awards' shows this year. Hopefully she'll prepare something better for her win this year. After six nominations (many possibly more deserving than this one), she deserves this one.

Best Actor

Richard Jenkins - "The Visitor"
Frank Langella - "Frost/Nixon"
Sean Penn - "Milk"
Brad Pitt - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Mickey Rourke - "The Wrestler"

I'm really up in the air about this category. The only film I've seen is Benjamin Button and, though I think it was a great film and was one of Brad's better performances, Pitt just does not have the acting chops of Langella, Penn, or Rourke. I'm gonna go with the critics and say Rourke will win it, but Sean Penn is another great possibility. He's been brilliant in everything he's done in the past few years, and the Academy has certainly taken notice (Best Actor for "Mystic River" in '04). If he won it again this year, it would be a well-deserved accolade.

Animated Feature Film

- "Bolt"
- "Kung Fu Panda"
- "WALL-E"

A lot of people would have liked to see "WALL-E" get nominated for Best Picture. I think Best Animated Feature is a fitting concession for this great film.

Best Director

- David Fincher - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Ron Howard - "Frost/Nixon"
- Gus Van Sant - "Milk"
- Stephen Daldry - "The Reader"
- Danny Boyle - "Slumdog Millionaire"

Boyle has already won at the Director's Guild Awards, the Golden Globes, and the BAFTAs. I think this one's in the bag.

Best Picture

- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- "Frost/Nixon"
- "Milk"
- "The Reader"
- "Slumdog Millionaire"

I went into "Slumdog Millionaire" knowing nothing about the film and with no expectations whatsoever. Scenes like the photo at the top of this entry have stuck with me weeks after seeing it and it is now one of my all-time favorite movies. It is just one of those completely endearing, incredible, watch-again-and-again-a-thousand-times-and-still-discover-something-new-and-unnoticed kind of masterpieces. I really hope it wins. I haven't seen "Milk," "Frost/Nixon," or "The Reader," but with the dire economic situation the world is in and all the negativity that engulfs us on a daily basis, I'd just like to see something uplifting and positive like this film win.

No comments: